Search This Blog

November 17, 2009

The Art Museum

I loved Rita's presentation. The in-class presentation spoke of types and shadows of the Savior depicted in the most recent exhibition at the MOA. Last year she gave a similar presentation, but it amazed me how much I was able to learn. In class when we saw some samples of what we would later see in the actual museum. It was so great to be exposed to so many opinions and perspectives. Once we actually went to see the pieces of art, all the things we spoke about came to life. One of my favorite pieces was the high relief "beyond the veil" depiction of Jesus and a person either letting go or holding on to the rod. I loved the position of Christ since his pose was in a crucifix shape. I really connected to the lines and where the lead my eyes. Jesus' fingers slipped under a brown veil reaching towards a person's hard that is seemingly struggling to hold on the rod. The boldness of this piece touched me. Another one of my favorites is the chair painting with the red and white sheets. I loved seeing this piece again because I was able to learn of new insights that I didn't notice last year when I saw it. I love how there was a sense of eternal existence with the circle around the whole painting. Art has such a way of bringing history, feelings and symbols to life. Above all, my absolute favorite was the last piece of the resurrection. I was so drawn to the colors and the three columns. Jesus is not naturally posed and Mary is shocked, but the expressions are surreal. The two flowers the represented the death and resurrection. I felt a personal connection because on Mother's day a white rose is worn by all those whose mothers have passed away and the red flowers by those with living mothers. Even though this artistic selection might have not been on purpose, that is what I love about art because it permits universal communion no matter who you are or where you come from: like religion. It brings us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment