Search This Blog

November 24, 2009

the creation

When I read Section 59 I didn't immediately relate it to Genesis and the creation. However, under the context of building up the church and restoring it to the most primitive form allowed by the guidance of God, I see the parallelism very much. Firstly, it was interesting to see that the beginning setting (The Garden of Eden) will also be the ending setting. This reminds me of the "first shall be the last and the last shall be the first" phrase. In this section of the Doctrine and Covenants I felt a specific emphasis on the Sabbath day. This day was appointed to us, but does it matter what day of the week we observe it? Time is a man-made thing. In fact, the Lord did not tell us it was a Sunday or a Saturday but the 7th day of creation. That should not be the prime focus of our attention, we should look at the creation of our sacred and commune with God.
On the Sabbath, we do not rest from creation; we create peace, service and love. I see a theme of irony, which is not strange for the scriptures. For example, if we fast (which is described as rejoicing here) our joy is made full. Another example is our rest from our daily labors, but our active offerings to God and our fellow brethren. In fact verse two says:
2 For those that live shall inherit the earth, and those that die shall rest from all their labors, and their works shall follow them; and they shall receive a crown in the mansions of my Father, which I have prepared for them.
We are given so many of the Earth's resources, they were created for us. Yet, even in this passage we are warned to use it in moderation and with balance. At that time no one could've predicted the lack of resources we have, but God knew ahead of time and warned us to be careful of our uses. The way I see it, is that God made us and made the Earth we live on; but, unlike our perception of things, mass production does not mean less quality. He placed everything on this Earth for a reason and with much kindness. We must just take part of his creations without excess and with much gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment