Search This Blog

September 28, 2009

Marvelous

While reading Doctrine and Covenants I noticed that sections 14, 12, 11, 6, 4 all begin the same:
Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.
This same plan, verse and prophesy goes with my last blog that mentioned that the plans of God cannot be frustrated. I wondered why the scriptures referred to it so much, but it was really important. It still is. We have the product of the marvelous work!

Some synonyms for marvelous include: astonishing, breathtaking, spectacular, unbelievable, incomprehensible and wondrous. I like how it includes incomprehensible because that is how amazing this work is, that we don't even fully grasp the intensity and importance of it. Yet, here we are in our days with the result of the most wondrous work that has ever come to pass, we hold the evidence and still, we do not always value the Book of Mormon for what it really is.

Each time this phrase is introduced the proceeding words follow to listen to God's words because it is like a two edge sword. He presents a marvelous work to us, and then he orders us to listen. However, in section 4 the following verse it commands us 'embark in the service of God' and serve him with all our mights, minds and strength. This work only could've come to pass with the willingness of our minds, mights and strength.

I think of the times that I feel like a big event, or something spectacular is about to work, and I realize how much work I have to do beforehand. I have to be fully devoted to it. I have to listen and be instructed because the word is 'quick and powerful.' In that case we cannot afford to be distracted to miss the quickness of the Lords errand. We cannot say we are Christians or even fellow workers of his kingdom if we do not dedicate ourselves to the great and marvelous work of this day: missionary work. The whole purpose of this book was so that the true gospel would be spread to everyone. We have that work, all we have to do is work with it to get it to every nation, tongue and people!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment