Search This Blog

October 05, 2009

VANITY!

When I read the beginning of section 20, it amazes me to think that Joseph Smith was considered "entangled with sin." The same Joseph that had to be so close to God to able to translate the Book of Mormon and receive revelations for the church.

At conference I received a lot of personal revelation. I noticed that I do love the ways I must, but I contradict my nature in a very strong way. I do development and empower people with my stories of what I do... but I myself am racist.

I grew up in a "racist" home, because my dad is Cuban... but that is not an excuse; I'm old enough to know better. I cannot attribute my lack of character to my negative examples.. that's just dumb. Before I moved to UT, I was so concerned to be surrounded by "white people" and the UT mormon white culture. I really changed my perspective and learned to love it. However, there are still some things that I look upon with disdain.

For example, my brother said that he really liked that "show" instead of movie and it turned me off. When I corrected him he messed with me saying the word "pop" for soda. He asked me why it bothered me so and I responded that it was too "white" and ew. He addressed me very firmly and rebuked me because there was no reason to be repulsed by words. He pointed out how my sisters and I do that a lot.

The comment caught me off guard and I accepted his criticism saying that I needed to change. However, I felt super guilty and horrible because I already learned my lesson. In my Book of Mormon class I read 4 Nephi where I read of the absence of contention and the presence of complete peace. There were also no manner of "ites" and then is when I realized that the perfect state of peace will be when there is no differentiation between "white people" and my Hispanic culture. Plus, who am I to say that soda is the correct word for pop. It's SOOO STUPID! And yet, here I was (after learning this lesson) re-entangling myself with sin.

It amazes me how so quickly I too like Joseph from D&C20:5 (became tangled in vanity)
After it was truly manifested unto this first elder that he had received a remission of his sins, he was entangled again in the vanities of the world.

I looked up the word vanity and it means "excessive pride"
I never considered vanity as pride! I am felt like a sinner! I am a sinner, but just like Joseph I can humble myself and work on repenting.

After all grace will save me after all I could do...WHICH IS: REPENT

No comments:

Post a Comment